How to Pay Personal Property Taxes
This office maintains all tax accounts for personal property including billing, processing additions, abatements and tax liens.
Personal property tax bills are mailed throughout the taxable year (July 1st through June 30th), depending on when the personal property tax returns were filed by a business. For any taxable year, the taxes billed are based on personal property located in Maryland as of January 1st of that same year.
Personal property tax is an annual tax on business owned personal property. Personal property generally includes furniture, fixtures, office and industrial equipment, machinery, tools, supplies, inventory and any other property not classified as real property. Most businesses must file a personal property tax return with the State Department of Assessments and Taxation (SDAT) each year. If you are unsure whether you are required to file, please contact the SDAT at 888-246-5941.
For questions regarding your personal property tax return, business closings, personal property assessments or other related issues, please contact the State Department of Assessments and Taxation in Baltimore at 410-767-1170 (for corporations, LLC’s, LLP’s and limited partnerships) or 410-767-4991 (for sole proprietors and general partnerships).
You may now review and/or pay your real estate and personal property taxes by check or credit card. Calvert County Government takes full advantage of internet security in the handling of your banking and credit card information.
- BankServ Corporation charges a fee for processing your check payment. Each transaction costs the user 50 cents.
- Official Payments Corporation charges a fee for processing your credit card payment. The amount of the fee is determined by the amount of the payment and is automatically added to your transaction. The fee is 3% for payments between $1,000 and $9,999 and higher for payments that are less. We are looking into ways to lower this.
- No portion of these fees is retained by Calvert County Government.
- By Telephone - To pay by telephone using a credit card, use the toll free number: 888-2PAY-TAX 888-272-9829). When prompted, enter 3013 for Calvert County Government payments. You will be asked to enter your credit card information.
- Online - Pay your personal property taxes online. Follow online instructions.