Calvert County, MD - Official Website - Materials Accepted
Click to Home

Go To Search
Materials Accepted
Items Accepted at All Locations
The following items can be recycled at all customer convenience center sites and the Appeal Landfill:
  • Cans- All food and beverage cans (steel, tin, and aluminum) and aerosol cans can be recycled. Rinse them out and flatten if you can. Labels and lids may be left on.
  • Glass - Clear, brown, or green bottles, jugs and jars. Labels and lids may be left on. Please rinse out the container. We can't accept plate glass, mirrors, dishes, pottery, ceramics, door panes, windshields or other types of glass (i.e. Pyrex).
  • Motor Oil, Oil Filters, and Antifreeze - If you do your own oil changes, chances are that you have a used oil filter so when you bring your oil to the recycling center, bring along the filter too. Filters should be drained and recycled in the marked container at all sites. Diesel fuel and kerosene may be placed in the used motor oil container. Gasoline and gasoline/oil mix is not accepted. Please bring gas and gas/oil mixes to the Household Hazardous Waste Collection Events.   
  • Paper - All whole and shredded paper, newspaper, magazines, junk mail, catalogs, school and mixed paper, cereal and food boxes (please remove the wax paper), paperback and hard cover books, milk/juice cartons, juice boxes and corrugated cardboard. No paper plates, napkins or tissues.
  • Plastic - All bottles, jars, and food containers with numbers 1 through 5 and number 7. Number 6 plastics are not recyclable by Calvert County. Please rinse out and flatten to save space. We don't accept Styrofoam, food packaging, plastic toys, dolls, plastic wrap, buckets, pans, or pails. Please remove from plastic bags.
  • Plastic - Bags and Film - All plastic bags. Shrink film plastic used to wrap beverage containers can also be recycled with the bags. Please place multiple bags and film plastic inside one plastic bag.  
  • Textiles / Clothes - Any old clothing, with or without holes, buttons or zippers can be recycled. Good clothing is sorted out for resale while tattered and old textiles are used for rags and other products. Don't forget sheets, curtains, blankets, socks, shoes, belts, cloth table cloths, cloth napkins, shower curtains, towels or just about anything that's a fabric. Be sure that the items are clean and dry and bundled in plastic bags. If you're unsure, please ask an attendant. Textiles are also accepted at collection containers at: Calvert Pines Senior Center, Edward T. Hall Aquatic Center, Harriet Brown Community Center, Southern Community Center, Dunkirk District Park, Hallowing Point Park, Cove Point Park, Fairview Branch Library and Southern Branch Library.
  • Cooking Oil - All cooking oil should be placed in used cooking oil containers. Please MARK the container as used cooking oil and place in designated areas    
  • Other Recyclables - Propane tanks from residential BBQ grills (no commercial) can be brought to any site to be recycled. Inkjet and laser cartridges from printers and fax machines. Cell phones can be recycled at all sites. Rechargeable batteries from tools and toys along with car, boat, and motorcycle batteries can be recycled. Single-use alkaline batteries are not accepted for recycling.

Items Accepted at Some Locations
The following items can be recycled at some customer convenience drop-off sites and the Appeal Landfill. Please confirm the materials accepted at each site before attempting to drop off materials.
  • Electronics - Computers, monitors, printers, keyboards, mouse, copiers, VCRs, DVD players, televisions, two-way radios and other electronics
  • Fluorescent and Incandescent Lights - All forms of fluorescent lights along with incandescent light bulbs and security light bulbs.
  • Metal - Lawnmowers, tractors, dryers, washers, stoves, dishwashers, metal cabinets, desks, chairs, grills or any item that is at least 80 percent metal. Please put all metal into the boxes provided at the Convenience Centers. Drain fuel or oil and remove batteries or propane gas bottles before recycling.

Items Accepted at Appeal Landfill Only  

  • Freon Appliances - Refrigerators, freezers, air conditioners and dehumidifiers. Appliances with Freon are accepted for proper draining and recycling at Appeal Landfill only.  Please take precautions to not damage the Freon lines during transport or drop-off.
  • Plastic - Rigid - All plastic with numbers 1 through 5 and number 7 such as packaging, plastic toys, dolls, plastic wrap, buckets, pans or pails. Please remove from plastic bags. Rigid plastic recycling is also available at the Barstow Convenience Center.  
  • Thermostats and Thermometers - These contain mercury and should be handled with care.
  • Vegetation and Yard Debris - All leaves, brush, bushes, tree stumps and branches.

Items Accepted at Scheduled Dates and Locations
  • Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) - This program is available to residents only; NO COMMERCIAL HAULERS/BUSINESSES OR INSTITUTIONS. Commercial businesses must make other arrangements for disposal. County residents may drop off their HHW at the Appeal Landfill and Mt. Hope Community Center on scheduled collection days only for free. These products usually have the words "danger," "poison," or "warning" on the labels and should be kept out of the regular garbage. For a detailed list of HHW items and more, please see the HHW page.

County VideosCounty MapsShop Local