Natural Resources Division
Our mission is to preserve, manage and operate natural resource areas to provide compatible outdoor recreation and educational opportunities for the public.
The Natural Resources Division is accepting applications for the following positions:
- Park Ranger (Flag Ponds Nature Park)
- Park Technician (Flag Ponds Nature Park)
- Grounds Maintenance
Apply through the Human Resources Department's Career Pages
Calvert County Nature Parks are peerless examples of the ecological diversity found in Southern Maryland Region. Each offers significant opportunities for outdoor learning and compatible recreation.
- Battle Creek Cypress Swamp Sanctuary 100 acres of one of the northernmost stands of bald cypress trees in the United States.
- Biscoe Gray Heritage Farm 196-acre site rich in natural and cultural resources and is a living laboratory to explore, understand and experience Calvert County's agricultural heritage throughout its history.
- Flag Ponds Nature Park 500 acres of natural area on the Chesapeake Bay from beach to upland.
- Kings Landing Park over 265 acres of natural area on the Patuxent River including a pier for fishing and launching kayaks, and 50 acres of marshland.
- Water Access including boating and fishing opportunities.
- Gatewood Preserve will provide additional public access to open space for appropriate outdoor recreation such as water access, hiking, fishing and nature study and increases the protection of Battle Creek and the Patuxent Watershed. This property could be part of a trail connecting Prince Frederick to the Patuxent River. Opening Date TBD
Education and Recreation
- Trails for Hiking and Horse Riding
- Calendar of Events Sign up for one of our Nature Discovery Programs to learn about the plants and animals of Calvert County. Education programs are sponsored by the Calvert Nature Society . (external link)
The Division of Natural Resources also manages areas to protect the natural and cultural resources of the county.
- Hunting (external link) Public Hunting at Biscoe Gray Heritage Farm and Flag Ponds Nature Park. Contact the State Department of Natural Resources Southern Region Public Hunting Permit and Reservation System online or by phone at the Myrtle Grove office at 301-743-5161.
- Flag Ponds Nature Park Living Shoreline Project
- Hughes Memorial Tree Farm (external link)
- The Natural Resources Division is part of the Calvert County Department of Parks and Recreation.
- Calvert Nature Society is a 501c3 "friends" group that supports the Division. (external link)
- Staff naturalists and volunteers teach the CHESPAX environmental education programs for grades K, 1, 3, & 5. (external link)
- Several of our parks are in the Chesapeake Bay Gateways Network (external link)