The Alzheimer's Association Walk to End Alzheimer's is the world's largest event to raise awareness and funds for Alzheimer's care, support and research. Held annually in more than 600 communities nationwide and 7 locations in the National Capital Area Chapter region, this inspiring event calls on participants of all ages and abilities to reclaim the future for millions.
Date: Saturday, September 28, 2019
Time:Registration 8:30am / Ceremony 9:30am / Walk 10am
Location:Asbury Solomons, 11100 Asbury Circle, Solomons, Maryland
Volunteers Needed: Volunteers assist, with registration, advocacy, t-shirts, monitoring, and setup and clean-up.
Twin Beach Players
The Twin Beach Players (TBP), Incorporated (incorporated 27 August 1998) is a nonprofit community theater group based in Chesapeake Beach and North Beach Maryland. The TBP will promote the performing arts and culture for the residents of the Twin Beach communities. The TBP plans to provide the community with three theatrical productions per season, and would appreciate the continuing support of the community.
Today, the TBP remains a viable and creative community theatre, featuring the talents of volunteer actors, directors, designers and crew, drawn from the Twin Beach communities. The membership has grown with the business and community support and from those who support and love community theater.
We currently rehearse and perform in the North Beach Boys & Girls Club. TBP’s dream is to find a permanent home. Today, the TBPs desire to continue producing quality live theater in twin beach communities. With the relentless commitment of the TBP Board of Directors, staff and volunteers who make the TBP a part of the beach communities’ cultural future, we are excited about the possibilities that exist on the horizon for a vibrant performing arts center in North Beach.
Christmas in April
Christmas in April Calvert County, Inc. is a non-profit organization that repairs and improves the homes of low-income homeowners, particularly the elderly, disabled, and families with children. Months of planning and preparation culminate in a flurry of activity on National Rebuilding Day, the last Saturday in April. Your help is needed to find eligible homeowners. Visit the Christmas in April Calvert County website.
Christmas in April Calvert County is currently accepting applications for our April workday (last Saturday in April.) Applications must be received by September 30th. Apply online or call 410-535-9044.
"When things improve, that enhances yourself. Especially for a widow who sees things going down. It was really beautiful." 75 years old.
Senior Companion Program
Since 1974, Senior Companions have made a difference by providing assistance and friendship to adults who have difficulty with daily living tasks, such as shopping or paying bills. their assistance helps adults retain their dignity and remain independent in their homes rather than having to move to costly institutional care.
To volunteer as a Senior Companion - please see Volunteer Application (PDF) packet
Who are we eligible to serve?
Adults, primarily older adults, who have one or more physical, emotional, or mental health limitations and are in need of assistance to achieve and maintain their highest level of independent living.
How can we help?
- Assisting clients with walking, getting out of bed, getting to the bathroom,
- provide medication reminders,
- accompanying a person to appointments,
- providing grief support,
- assisting in reality orientation/awareness,
- encourage exercise.
- Preparing light meals,
- provide health or nutrition information,
- accompanying to grocery store and/or nutrition site.
- Provide companionship, talking, listening, cheering up, playing games/cards. etc.,
- provide peer support,
- fostering client contact with family and friends.
- Light shopping, doing errands,
- writing letters, reading, and filling out forms,
- doing light housekeeping,
- light gardening.
- Temporarily release family caregivers.
To volunteer as a Senior Companion - please see Volunteer Application (PDF) packet.
If you have questions please call Nina Mouldern at 410-535-0817 or email Senior Companion
Calvert Meals on Wheels
Calvert Meals on Wheels, Inc. is a volunteer, non-profit organization dedicated to providing one home-delivered mid-day meal, five days a week to home-bound persons.
The purpose of Calvert Meals on Wheels is threefold:
- To provide one nutritious, home-delivered meal, five days a week, to those who, due to illness, advanced age, or disability are unable to provide proper meals for themselves.
- To enable the homebound to live independently as long as possible.
- To relieve the isolation and loneliness of the homebound.
Can you spare just two hours?? Calvert Meals on Wheels (CMOW) is seeking volunteer drivers - these positions require a passion for serving vulnerable older adults in Calvert County.
CASA of Southern Maryland
What is CASA?
CASA is one of over 900 Court Appointed Special Advocate programs nationwide that works on behalf of abused and neglected children involved in the foster care system. Case services are available in St. Mary's, Calvert and Charles counties.
What is a CASA Advocate?
CASA Advocates are men and women from all walks of life, with a variety of professional, educational and ethnic backgrounds. No special experience required, only the desire to help our community's children and a commitment to make a difference.
Calvert Hospice cares for patients and their families in our community who are living with or are affected by a serious, life-limiting illness. We provide expert medical care, pain and symptom management, emotional and spiritual support. Care is personalized to the individual needs and wishes of the patient with a focus on compassion, dignity and the patient's quality-of-life. Additionally, Calvert Hospice provides bereavement support for all members of our community who are anticipating or grieving the loss of a loved one.
Calvert Hospice relies on its dedicated volunteers to assist with the following:
- Family Service: Seeking caring and friendly volunteers to visit patients in their home or nursing home to provide companionship and/or a few hours of respite for family members.
- Bereavement: Seeking compassionate volunteers to work with surviving family members of hospice patients and others in the community grieving the death of someone close. In addition, we need volunteers to help facilitate BRIDGES, a youth support group and to be "Buddies" at Camp Phoenix, a 3-day summer camp for children who have had losses.
- Office: Seeking friendly, detail-oriented volunteer with good phone skills and strong people skills. One day a week on a permanent schedule, you choose day of week and time slot. Answering the phone is a must.
- Special Events: Seeking dedicated and fun people volunteer for outreach and development events on an as needed, per event basis. This includes attending planning meetings, necessary coordination and attending the event.
- Shoppe for Hospice: Seeking persons with retail experience of any kind or just a desire to work in an upscale boutique-type store.
If you are interested in volunteering or would like additional information about volunteering with Calvert Hospice, email Anne Stavely, Volunteer Coordinator or call 410-535-0892.
Volunteers must undergo training (candidates must attend all three days) in order to participate.
Southern Maryland Battle Buddies
Volunteers needed: Battle Buddies is looking for veterans who have managed to navigate the transition to civilian life, and have the heart to provide peer-to-peer support for another veteran.
Southern Maryland Battle Buddies is a non-partisan, volunteer led program dedicated to helping veterans of military service, their families and significant others heal. Primarily through confidential peer support, informed advocacy and expert referral we will help veterans overcome barriers to healthcare, access work and educational opportunities, and re-integrate into civilian society.
For more information on services, training or involvement as a volunteer, visit the Southern Maryland Battle Buddies website or call 443-975-5262.
Volunteer Boards, Commissions and Committees
Interested in shaping Calvert County? Volunteer to serve on one of our 50 boards, commissions, or committees - to address issues that impact our citizens. Adult protection, architectural and environmental standards, tourism, or ethics are just a few areas of focus that need good people like you!
Check out the complete list of Volunteer Boards and Commissions.
Volunteer Southern Maryland
Fostering Change Through Volunteerism to Build a Stronger Community
Volunteer Southern Maryland is a free interactive online database of local non-profit agencies and volunteer opportunities - a one-stop shop for volunteerism. Volunteer Southern Maryland also sponsors monthly events, activities, and drives to meet local community needs. Visit the Volunteer Southern Maryland's website.