We are planning for the future!
Calvert County, with the help of consulting firm Sabra & Associates, is working to update the Calvert County Transportation Plan adopted in 1997. The plan is being developed in conjunction with the update of the Calvert County Comprehensive Plan.
The Transportation Plan will set a vision to integrate multimodal transportation planning with land use, historic preservation, open space and community facilities.
Transportation Plan Schedule
- At the last public workshop, the citizens expressed the need to know how the proposed Comprehensive Plan would impact transportation. Planning & Zoning staff and Sabra & Associates discussed these concerns and added these build out scenarios to the scope of work. As a result, workshops 2 & 3 have been combined into one workshop.
- Public participation workshop #1 to identify transportation challenges
- The first public workshop was held on April 2, 2019. The consultant firm Sabra and Associates presented a slide presentation on existing conditions and conducted a group exercise. To see the slide show click here (PDF).
- Progress update to the Planning Commission
- Draft Transportation Plan prepared for public review
- 1st draft plan prepared for Technical Advisory Committee and staff review
- Public Workshop
- August 14, 2019
- 6:30 P.M. to 8:00 P.M.
- Calvert Pines Senior Center
- 450 W. Dares Beach Road
- Prince Frederick, MD 20678
- At this workshop, SAI will present:
- analysis of traffic generated by the proposed comprehensive plan under various build-out scenarios.
- roadway alternatives to manage additional traffic, if necessary.
- outline of the recommended transportation plan.
The consultant will take the feedback from this workshop and complete the 2nd draft plan. It is anticipated that the full draft of the proposed Calvert County Transportation Plan will be released on or about August 19, 2019.
- Public comment due on draft by September 6, 2019
- Preparation of 3rd draft plan for Planning Commission review
- Planning Commission work session with consultant - September 26, 2019
- 4th draft Planning Commission's recommend plan
- 60 day review by agencies
- Planning Commission public hearing
- Board of County Commissioners work session
- Board of County Commissioners public hearing
- BOCC takes action on plan
The following major elements are to be addressed in the plan:
- Continue to focus on highway improvement priorities in coordination with the state
- Improve countywide traffic issues
- Continue to support town center development
- Emphasize multimodal transportation
- Embrace smart technology
The updated plan will address livability, safety and mobility for residents and enhance Calvert County as a vibrant place to live and visit. Stay tuned for updates!