- As you leave, tie a white cloth to the front door to let emergency officials know you have evacuated.
- Close and lock windows and doors.
- Continue to listen to Emergency Alert System for updated information and instructions.
- Do not attempt to pick children up from school. They will be moved to a temporary shelter and cared for in accordance with existing emergency plans. Listen to the Emergency Alert System to find out how to be reunited with your children if school is in session.
- Do not dial 9-1-1 unless you have a life-threatening emergency.
- Follow all instructions given on Emergency Alert System stations.
- Follow the direction of emergency personnel on evacuation routes.
- Gather items you will need to take with you. Use the Emergency Supplies Kit checklist (PDF) as a guide.
- If you need a ride or special assistance, call 410-535-1600 extension 2638 in Calvert County.
- Keep car windows and air vents closed.
- Stay calm; there will be enough time to protect yourself and your family.
- Turn off heating and air conditioning units and close fireplace dampers.
- Turn off lights and appliances (except refrigerators and freezers).
- Use your own vehicle to evacuate. Offer rides to neighbors who may not have transportation.
Where to Go
If an evacuation is recommended, reception and mass care shelters will be opened based on the incident. In Calvert County, the public school system is used to shelter residents in an emergency. It is important to listen to the Emergency Alert System for evacuation information and shelter locations.
Calvert County ALERT, the emergency telephone notification system, will be activated to provide emergency information to affected residents. Alerts will also be sent out through our Emergency Mobile App, Prepare Me Calvert.
Those who need evacuation assistance due to disability of medical conditions should fill out the Special Needs Registry Form (PDF).