Board of Appeals
OverviewAppointed by the Board of County Commissioners, the Board of Appeals is a three-member board that reviews applications for variances, special exceptions and expansion or replacement of non-conforming uses. It has the authority to:
- Hear and decide appeals where it is alleged there is an error in any order, requirement, decision or determination made by an administrative officer in the enforcement of ordinances adopted under Section 4-305 of the Land use Article of the Annotated Code of Maryland.
- Hear and decide special exceptions to the terms of the Zoning Ordinance.
- Grant variances from the terms of the Zoning Ordinance.
First Thursday of each month
Commissioners' Hearing Room
175 Main Street
Prince Frederick, MD 20678
Additional meetings are scheduled as necessary.
The Board of Appeals complies with the Open Meetings Act - agendas and minutes for our monthly meetings available at Agenda and Minutes.
The Board of County Commissioners shall appoint five members. There shall be three regular members and two alternate members. The term of each member shall be three years. Each member must complete the State-required education and training course within 6 months of appointment. Members must complete financial disclosure statements annually.
- Susan Hance Wells, Chair
- Daniel O. Baker, Jr., Vice Chair
- John Ward, Member
- Marcia Claggett, Alternate Member
- Thomas H. Ireland, Alternate Member
- Carlton Green, Board Counsel
- Roxana Whitt, Board Administrator
- Ashleigh Goedeke, Clerk to the Board