Board of Appeals (BOA)
Participation in October 1, 2020 Zoom Hearing
To participate in the October 1 hearing by phone, call 833 548 0276 toll-free and enter meeting ID 848 1686 2231. If prompted for a participant ID or password, press #.
Application packages, staff reports, and documentation submitted by the public can be found in our Document Center.
Submitting Comment on a Case
How can I submit comment on a case in progress?
The public is always welcome to submit comment on a case in progress. You can comment in two ways:
- Submit written comment before the hearing. You can send your comment by mail (Board of Appeals, 150 Main Street, Prince Frederick MD 20678) or by email to the Board’s Clerk.
- Participate in the hearing live. Our hearings are usually in the Courthouse at 175 Main Street in Prince Frederick, but during the COVID-19 crisis our hearings are over Zoom. You can participate in a Zoom hearing by calling toll-free from any phone, and you’ll be given the opportunity to testify and to cross-examine the applicant at the hearing. To find out the phone number to participate in the hearing, check our agendas page, where the agenda will be posted about 3 weeks before the hearing, or keep an eye on our homepage.
How will my comments be used?
Written comments will become part of the public record. Your personal contact information, such as your email address and phone number, will be redacted, but your name and town of residence will still be included. The comments will be distributed to the Board for their consideration and to the applicant so they have the opportunity to address your comments. At the hearing, mention of your correspondence will be included in the evidence list, and it might be read aloud. A mention of your comments will also be included in the final decision for the case.
Live testimony also becomes part of the public record. The hearing's audio and video recordings, as well as their transcripts, are available to the public. Your name and a summary of what you said will also be included in the final decision for the case.
Appointed by the Board of County Commissioners, the Board of Appeals is a three-member board that reviews applications for variances, special exceptions and expansion or replacement of non-conforming uses. It has the authority to:
- Hear and decide appeals where it is alleged there is an error in any order, requirement, decision or determination made by an administrative officer in the enforcement of ordinances adopted under Section 4-305 of the Land use Article of the Annotated Code of Maryland.
- Hear and decide special exceptions to the terms of the Zoning Ordinance.
- Grant variances from the terms of the Zoning Ordinance.
Each case is presented before the Board at a scheduled public hearing; applicants are notified of the date of their public hearing when the application is filed.
Cases are heard by three Board members and their legal counsel.
Additional meetings are scheduled as necessary.
Board of Appeals public hearings are held at 9:00 a.m. and/or 1:00 p.m. on the first Thursday of each month.
175 Main St., Prince Frederick, 2nd floor of the Circuit Courthouse. Parking is located to the rear of the Circuit Courthouse, at the County Services Plaza, and elsewhere on Main Street.
Some meetings may be held over Zoom for the duration of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Agendas and Minutes
|January 2, 2020|
|February 6, 2020|
|March 5, 2020|
|March 26, 2020- CASES RESCHEDULED|
|April 2, 2020- CASES RESCHEDULED|
|May 7, 2020- CASES RESCHEDULED|
|May 14, 2020- TO BE HELD VIA ZOOM|
|May 28, 2020- TO BE HELD VIA ZOOM|
|June 4, 2020- TO BE HELD VIA ZOOM|
|July 2, 2020- TO BE HELD VIA ZOOM|
|August 6, 2020- TO BE HELD VIA ZOOM|
|September 3, 2020- TO BE HELD VIA ZOOM|
|October 1, 2020- TO BE HELD VIA ZOOM|
|November 5, 2020- TO BE HELD VIA ZOOM|
|December 3, 2020- TO BE HELD VIA ZOOM|
Open Meeting Statement
The Calvert County Board of Appeals complies with the Open Meetings Act.
|Susan D. Hance-Wells, Chair||2||04/30/2022|
|Daniel O. Baker, Jr., Vice Chair||2||09/30/2022|
|John R. Ward, Member||3||09/30/2021|
|Marcia P. Claggett, Alternate Member||3||07/31/2022|
|Thomas H. Ireland, Alternate Member||2||09/30/2022|
|Lisa Smith Sanders, Esq., Board Counsel|